Sunday, February 6, 2011

Google Voice for the Library

After reading articles here and here about Google Voice I decided to give it a try. I set up a Google Voice account for students to text or call the library for homework or research assistance. I added a widget to my school library page and advertised the number in the library. I am not sure if I will have much response from the students, especially in the beginning, but I want my students to have access to my help at all times of the day.
Google Voice is a manageable solution because I am able to keep my personal number private, yet access student questions by voicemail or text with my home phone and computer. It is completely free and easy to use. You can personalize your number when available. I used the initials of our school name. Google Voice automatically transcribes your voicemails and you can have them emailed or sent to your phone for viewing. There is even an app for your phone.
Many of our students come from low income homes and do not have a parent at home that is able and/or willing to help them complete homework. I feel a moral obligation to do my best to help them. This is one way to reach out to them.

1 comment:

  1. You never cease to amaze me with the techie ideas you incorporate into your library program. Hope that students take advantage of this opportunity to request your help. Do they have ANY idea what an awesome librarian they have?

    ReplyDelete